Wednesday, September 13, 2006

p.u.b.l.i.s.h.

Publishing has taken a long course in the U.S. starting from the beginning when it really did not exist. Then it took its course and it came what it is today. But, answering the question about publishing in the future is a very difficult one to answer. A few companies (like Sony, from what I heard in class) are trying to develop something that looks and reads like a book but it is on the computer. Or, there is the computer that looks like nothing but a set of pens. This computer displays the screen on to any white surface. This way, if you really want to read a book on the computer you can dispaly it on your wall. However, in my case I really like to read books at the beach sometimes. Where am i going to find some white wall to display my book on so that i can read it? There is something about be able to have that special, physical relationship with my book that makes it fun to read. I think publishing needs to stay around; according to the majority of the students in our class, most of them like to physically have the book to read. Yes, I will pass on books to my grandchildren. One of the most important things to me as a child was being read a bedtime story before I went to bed. It was nice, quality time that I got to spen with my parents and even my granparents. In the future, I don't want to have to say, "Hey, why don't i send you this book online, and you can print out and read to your kid". It's just not the same, all the pictures will be lost, the tecture and smell of the book will disappear.

No comments: