Thursday, September 14, 2006

Prop-a-what?

We've seen propaganda since we were little minds just beginning to learn about the history of the U.S. Looking back, I actually remember thinking that Great Britain was a horrible place. The way it was written in the history book, it seemed like the British government was so oppressive. All they wanted to do was make money off the Americans that had moved here by imposing ridiculous acts on them. The Americans were the good guys trying to make it on their own in a free land. Finally, the Americans were heroes in the war and we got Britain to leave us alone. All the way up to my senior year in high school, it was the same kind of propaganda; the Americans were the good guys and the british were the bad guys. What about all the Fast Food Nation books and the Super Size me documentary? These propagandas were highly influential to people all over the nation. They focused primarily on the bad things about fast food. Once I was finished reading the Fast Food Nation, I could not step foot into a fast food restaurant. It would make me sick to my stomach thinking about the kind of stuff that they were putting into my food. Super Size Me was even worse. This man did nothing but eat McDonald's 3 times a day for 30 days. Everything that could possibly go wrong with his health, did. He gained anywhere from 25-30 pounds, his liver started having problems, and the biggest tragedy: he lost his libido. He couldn't even perform for his girlfirend anymore, and apparently this caused some serious problems in their relationship if you know what I mean? Uh, oh this seemed like a problem people had to get rid of. Well, these propagandas seem to be the big talk when they first came out. They were the discussion in two of my classes, sophomore year in high school. All of a sudden nobody wanted to eat meat or go to Jack in the Box to pick up a quick burger. I am not saying that this propaganda is a bad thing. Actually, I think it is very good; people should be aware of what kinds of things are going into their meals. Especially when there are mass amounts of people consuming fast food. In my opinion, Fast Food Nation= good propaganda; which nowadays is very hard to come across.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good, you posted it twice? :-)