Sunday, August 27, 2006

finance

Well, i just turned 18, and my grandpa came to me with a great idea. He said why not open a roth ira account? I've heard him say this a million times to me; it probably started when i was about 10. However, it never really sunk in until now. Anyhow, for all of those who don't know what a roth ira account is...it is an account that you can put money in for retirement. The money is compounded and tax-free. Therefore, if you do things right, you should have more money than you put in. However, the catch is that you can not withdraw your money until you are 59 and a half without a 10% penalty. My grandpa helped put money in it, but in return i have to learn about the stock market. I'm still new at the whole thing, and still very nervous about handling money in the market. The market can be a lot like gambling, if you turn your back for a second you could lose all of your money. Well, i'll keep you posted on what happens. If anyone wants to talk about finances, or have any words of wisdom feel free to post a blog.

No comments: